Thursday, March 17, 2005

Happy St. Patrick's Day!

I'm excited to celebrate St. Patricks day today. In the past, it was always one of those goofy celebrations that I never really understood, and green beer wasn't appealing to me at all. This year's different though, since I discovered my Irish ancestors.

I'd always thought that my Dad's family was just English, but doing genealogy this summer, discovered that his father's side was Irish/English, and his mother's was Irish. So, for the first time, I have a connection to this celebration of all things green and Irish. Heck, I even have an Irish flag hanging in my apartment (maybe a bit much.) I've also discovered the joys of beer this past year. I decided if I was going to Scotland next year, I better learn to enjoy beer. So, maybe I'll be brave and try a green beer (not because of the food colouring, but because of the cheap beer they use.)

So today, I will celebrate by going to the London Market here in Salt Lake. It's a British goods import shop. My niece usually goes with me, and we get a bunch of import candy, but she has school today. I might try and convince my sister that we should go to the Piper Down Pub tonight for a while.

I'll also be cruising around SLC in my kilt today. What better day to wear a kilt than St. Paddy's day? Yes, the Irish do wear kilts, though it's not as widespread as the Scottish. I just wish I could afford a new kilt in the County Armagh tartan. Maybe after I finally graduate and get a real job.