Thursday, March 15, 2007

New Music

Here are some bands worth checking out. I'm too lazy to write a whole lot, and include links, but you're a big kid now, so find it your damn self.

!!! (Chk Chk Chk) - Myth Takes Great dance/rock from a NYC band. They're kind of like The Rapture, but a little harder on the rock end of things. Trust me though, your booty will still have a mind of it's own after you've heard just a few measures of any song.
The Arcade Fire - Neon Bible The follow up from this sexy Canadian band isn't nearly the disappointment I feared it might be. Is it as good as their first album? No. But it's still pretty damn good.
Bloc Party - A Weekend in the City This follow up is definitely different than their first album. It's not bad... just different. After a few listens, I realized how good this album really is, and absolutely LOVE it now.
Cold War Kids - Robbers and Cowards Alternative rock that doesn't sound like every other generic alt rock band out there. It's not the best album I've ever heard, but it's not too bad either.
Feist - The Reminder I just blogged about this a little while ago. Much different than her first album, and I like it much more. I still listen to "I Feel It Now" on repeat.
Final Fantasy - He Poos Clouds I didn't know about this guy until I finally got my first copy of Butt Magazine, where he was interviewed. He wrote all of the string arrangements for the first Arcade Fire album, and he makes some trippy music. Kind of like a male, stoner, violinist version of Bjork or something.
Mika - Life in Cartoon Motion Hailed as the "Next Big Thing" in the UK, I'm not really seeing why there's all the hype. It's ok, but a little whiney for my taste.
Amy Winehouse - Back to Black Now this is what Neo-Soul is supposed to be. Imagine Nina Simone singing about going to rehab, but making it modern and fun. Yeah, you actually want to dance to lines like "they want me to go to rehab, but I won't go... no no" This is hot.
The Bird and the Bee - TBATB Trippy folk rock that occasionally surprises. "Fucking Boyfriend" is kind of about a girl asking a guy if he wants to be her fucking boyfriend. Whether that's figurative or literal... I can't quite tell you.
Freemasons - Shakedown Some of the best dance music out there, in my opinion. I'd much rather dance to these two discs for a few hours than listen to the crap most club DJs play, and have twice as much fun doing it. Definitely good for workouts and your home dance party in your underwear.