Tuesday, August 09, 2005

Artist O' the Day: Tuesday

Today's artist is someone I should have known about a few years ago, but just discovered recently, thanks to S. Matthew Barney, creator of the Cremaster Cycle movies, is a visionary genius/nutjob that's making some incredible movies.


Admittedly, I've only seen a 30 minute segment of Cremaster 3, but I'm amazed at his artistic filmwork. Also, I'm impressed that he shot Cremaster 3 on 24p DV three years ago, using the Sony CineAlta cameras *drool drool*. This was before Lucas and Rodriguez pushed the envelope by using 24p DV.

I must say that I'm incredibly disappointed with the Mass Communications department. How come none of the professors told me about Matthew Barney, especially since he was raised in Idaho? They didn't need to encourage me to create video as odd as Barney's, but a little nudge in that direction could have opened new worlds to me. Instead, I'm making comedies about men in kilts, while Barney is making escapist-fantasy works of art featuring guys in kilts.

"But wait!" you say. "Isn't this Blandella? Isn't it a celebration of mediocrity and banality in your life?" True, true. I just wish that the celebration wasn't quite so powerful at times.