Tuesday, September 19, 2006

Anatomically Correct

There are two shows on television I just don't understand the appeal for. The first is Grey's Anatomy, and I just don't get why people watch it. I've tried watching it a few times now, and find myself bored after a few minutes. Whiney people whining about whiney problems has never appealed to me, and thus, my avoidance of small children with innept parents. "Whah whah my lack of sex whah whah need this stat whah heart condition whah whah." That's some dialogue from the pilot, though it could fit in any standard episode of the show. Maybe if I was a shoe-gazing emo kid that was in trouble for wearing my sister's jeans, then I'd be all over it. As is, I'll pass on this crap.

The other show whose popularity is unfathomable to me is House. I'm amazed that people watch each week with baited breath to see what will befall the bitchy-yet-brilliant Dr. House. Spoiler Alert: it'll be the same damn thing as last week, but with a different fill-in-the-blank disease! Could this show be any more formulaic?

Here's an episode of House in 6 easy steps:
1) someone comes to hospital with strange/exotic disease.
2) other medical staff stand around looking perplexed and befuddled.
3) House shows up with "unconventional" diagnosis and/or cure.
4) everyone gets pissy with House.
5) House is correct, and saves the day.
6) everyone else sulks that House was right.
I dare anyone to prove me wrong on this one. I've only seen about 4 episodes, but thought it was a rerun every time.

Praise Jesus for Project Runway, or I'd just have to throw my tv out the window.