Monday, September 18, 2006

Now Hear This!

This post is about some new music I wanted to share with my favorite blogmonkeys. It seems like you can find out just about anything for crap artists like Justin Timberjacksonwannabelake or Beyon-dgawdawfulcatinheathowling-ce, but it takes a little digging to find the good stuff. So, since I know my blogmonkeys have better things to do with their time than surf for music, I've decided to help you out.

Ray LaMontagne: I bought this CD a few weeks ago, after hearing it at Virgin and getting moist. It's a mix of folk, americana, and neo-soul. Even my picky-ass mother, who likes no music except Abba and Tina Turner, exclaimed that it was "pretty good" after listening to it yesterday. Hey, you make me drive from Boise, you listen to what I want.

Bonnie "Prince" Billy: I don't know most of his stuff, but I found a link to his new video this afternoon. (Requires QuickTime.) It's good folk music, if you prefer your folk a little less crack addicted than say Devandra Banhart's brand of folk. It also features a semi-adorkable guy wearing what appears to be an afghan puli dog.

Zero 7: I didn't really like their new album at first, but it really grew on me. Kind of like that fungus on my taint, but with less negative side effects. Anyway, their new album combines a few of my favorite things: Zero 7, Jose Gonzalez, and videos of swirling/morphing food. Hot damn!

Malajube: French-Canadians that foolishly decided to sing in French, rather than Canadian. At least they didn't marry 90-year-old men and get tricked into performing at Vegas. I have no idea what they're singing about, but I like it. Check out their inventive videos, and try to imagine they're singing about love or puppies, and not skinning little children alive, since it's not in English, and there's a possibility that's what's going on.

The Rapture: I heard these guys were the originators of the dance-rock genre you all should be worshipping right along with me. Yes, you. The tortured one with the eyeliner and the Bravery tshirt in the corner, who's much too cool to fall for crappy emo, yet still feels all the same ways as his whiney emo counterpart. Scoot your booty to The Rapture instead of Dashboard Crapfessional, and revel in the fact people actually like you at the end of the day.