Thursday, May 05, 2005

Cruising with Prof. W.

Today's been interesting already, and it's not even 1pm yet. The morning started with Spanish class, where I discovered that I got a 95% on the test I thought I had flunked! Hooray! I'm not as bilingually challenged as I had previously thought. However, I did come to realize that skipping Tuesday's class and not learning about indirect object pronouns for a little bit more sleep was not a good idea.

Anyway, back to the subject. I was hanging out with Prof. W. this morning after class, and we were talking about a film school that's supposed to be starting here in Idaho. I noticed that it was for "family films" (eg. Mormon approved...let's call it what it is people). Then, we discussed how the chair of our department felt threatened and was blowing smoke up others' butts about starting a film school here. It's not going to happen. Then we got talking of rumors about the chair (getting the dirt can be quite satisfying.)

There's a rumor that the chair had put his house up for sale, because he wants to leave the school. Since W. and I had nothing better to do, we went for a drive to see if it was true. Went to the house. No for sale sign. We were depressed. Got stuck waiting for a train to cross in front of us. Talked. Found out more about my program in 15 minutes than I had in the last year. Got back to school. Talked to T.'s live-in girlfriend, and found out the rumor was true. Rejoiced.

It's funny having personal relationships with your professors. It's nice, but it feels like you're crossing some professional boundary at the same time. I'm also learning there's a lot of politics involved with higher education.