Thursday, October 05, 2006

I'm Analog, He's digital: Lessons in Stereotyping

I've talked before about the job that I applied for. Interviews were last week, and seemed to go well, but due to some health issues with the hiring committee, no decision has been reached yet.

Yesterday, I was talking with one of the members, and in a round-about way, was informed one of my "weaknesses" is that I don't fit a certain stereotype. I'd thought that as a society and a community, we'd progressed past that point, but apparently I'm wrong. It's like those situations where ethnic minorities get lambasted for not acting "_____ (fill in ethnic minority) enough."

I also unfortunately learned that ideals are skewed. What I thought was about education is really about sex appeal. Even though I'm infinitely more qualified than the other lead applicant, it appears he's leading right now due to his "appeal." I've got work experience in the health field, education field, and technology field. I've had prior leadership/management experience. The other guy? He's working his first job as a stock boy at WalMart, but he'll apparently bring in the masses of youth to be educated. So yes, I feel justified in being skeptical of the true ideals of the organization. This is just like that time Carmen Electra beat me out for the striptease exercise video deal. All my years as a stripper counted for nothing.

Maybe I'm just overreacting, and maybe I'll get the job... but I'm highly doubtful at this juncture. This sucks.