Wednesday, October 11, 2006

NCOD + GP = ME

Today is National Coming Out Day, where LGBTQI people are encouraged to be honest with those they love and care about, and share who they really are. As part of my new job duties, I got to help set up and man a booth in the Student Union Building for the Genesis Project. We had information, stickers, buttons, condoms and candy for anyone that wanted them. We just wanted to let people know about the event, and know that there was a safe place on campus for them to express themselves freely.

I was amazed at the reactions we got from people walking by. They ranged from giggles to abject horror. It was frustrating to see the way some people chose to conduct themselves too. For instance, two black girls came by to get some candy, and then muttered something about “faggots” as they walked off. It was tempting to call them “niggers,” just to return the favor of crass epithets, but I decided to take the high road this time.

Maybe the most frustrating experiences came from members of my former church. They would walk by and glare at me, doing everything they could to make eye contact with me and express their general disdain. I’m sure Jesus would be very proud of them. Honestly, I’m not sure when this whole polemic “if you’re not condemning it, you’re condoning it” mentality snuck in.

Some good things did happen though. About ½ hour before I packed up for the day, a young lesbian came to talk to me. She was terrified about her family’s reaction (most likely to be disowned, like many in the area) and was looking for support. I was happy to talk to her for a while and point her in the direction of a group on campus that was a good fit for her. I was also approached by a young man that was terrified to talk to me, but expressed interest in outreach activities we hold during the week. Hopefully he gets the courage to come tonight to coffee, or next Monday.

All in all, it was an eye opening experience for me, and really taught me a lot about how people in my community really think. For the most part, I can do without them, and I’m just happy I got the chance to help a few people.

Oh, and since it’s NCOD and all: I’m gay, just in case you hadn’t quite figured it out.