Saturday, February 05, 2005

"I coulda been a contender"

Last night I got to hang out at the home of an Academy Award voter's house. This kind of thing just doesn't happen where I live. Come to think of it, nothing really happens where I live. But, to dispel any rumors, Napoleon Dynamite is not what your average Idahoan is like. Damn that movie!! Like Idaho wasn't a PR nightmare before...dancing cartoon potatoes in commercials...eeks!

So, I met Richard Smith, who let some of us media students go to his house. He told us about when he used to work in Hollywood, and showed us some movie trailers he edited. Some were lame, but this guy edited the trailers for Carrie and The Rocky Horror Picture Show!!!

Richard then showed us his new DVD player that the Academy had sent him. They created some new special DVD player that has some magical encoding, made by wood nymphs, so Academy voters can watch all the films on DVD in their homes, and you can't pirate the material. I was excited, but enormously jealous, that he has all of the films nominated this year sitting on his shelf on DVD...which he gets to keep. We voted as a group to watch Sideways last night, after my nominations of Closer and A Very Long Engagement got struck down. Hey, I don't want to drive two hours just to see those films! Sideways was a good flick though, and I hope it does well at the Oscars.