Monday, March 28, 2005

Missing P-Town

When I was living in Portland, it never felt like home. It was nice, and I enjoyed my time there, but I never really considered it home.

So, today, our weather decides it'll do it's best to emulate the constant drizzle of Oregon. Then, I run across an email from a friend I made while living in Portland. Then, I'm listening to Party Shuffle on iTunes, and come across a song I haven't listened to in a while. It's Sit and Listen to the Rain by Whiskeytown. I used to drive around the Hawthorne District of Porland with that song on repeat in the CD player. Then, I'd meet Ben at the coffee shop to sit and talk, and make fun of the guy that looked just like Saddam Hussein and would sleep in the corner...at 4 in the afternoon. The baristas would play the Back to Mine CD by Everything But the Girl, and I'd think about getting it for those chill out moments...but they never had it at BestBuy...only at Borders, where it was damn expensive.

Is something/someone conspiring against me to make me feel a sudden desire for Portland again? I haven't even been back to visit since I left that place. Not because I left on bad terms, but because I never felt anything really pulling me back that way to visit. Perhaps I'll go back to visit in the future. Now that I like beer, that opens up a whole new Portland that I never experienced while I was there. It's lame to go to a McMennamins, but get the hard cider.

So, P-Town, this post is for you.