Wednesday, March 23, 2005

Weird Trends I Just Don't Get

A week! It took me a freakin' week to get anything written. I'm such a horrible slacker.

Anyway, I discovered a startling and slightly unsettling new trend this weekend. I don't know if it's only a Salt Lake City thing, or if this trend is growing in other places, but it's gaining popularity. This oddness? Teenage boys wearing girl jeans. Seriously, I can't count the number of boys that have traded in their baggy, saggy jeans for hip-hugging flaired girl jeans. I know they were girl jeans because they often had a big hot-pink coloured "MUDD Jeans" insignia stitched onto the back pocket, and MUDD does not make clothes for guys. I noticed this mainly in the skater guys, but it's generally only a small amount of time before skater trends leak into mainstream popularity.

I don't know why guys wearing girl jeans freaks me out so much. Maybe because they weren't even slightly baggy jeans, but almost painted on hip-hugger jeans. Eeks! Maybe it's because the girl jeans make the boys all look like Kirsten Dunst, only less narcoleptic in appearance. All I know is that I have to give a big thumbs down to this weird trend.