Monday, March 14, 2005

Weekend of Wonders

Life brings funny surprises every now and then. A friend from high school emailed out of the blue this last weekend. His mother was moving from Pocatello to Oregon, and needed help moving on Saturday. Since we hadn't seen each other in almost 4 years, which is sad because we only live 3 hours from each other, we decided this would be a good time to catch up.

It's funny how much some things can change, while others don't seem to change at all. Even though we hadn't seen each other in a long time, we just naturally clicked, and it seemed like we hadn't been apart for all that long. On the other hand, our lives are in very different places right now. He's married and has two kids, and his oldest is starting kindergarten in the fall. I can't even imagine having a kid, let alone one old enough to be starting school. Freaky. I like my life as it is for a lot of reasons. Being single, I don't have to constantly check in with another person to make sure what I'm doing is okay. I love the fact that I can be completely autonomous, and my actions generally only affect me. Call it selfishness, or whatever, but I also enjoy spending my money however I damn well please. I hate going out with married friends, only to have them call their wives and see if it was okay if they bought a $3 mocha. Maybe my friends are just neurotic, but it seems like all of my married friends do this. I'd go freakin' insane if I had to okay every little move like that.

So, while it was good to catch up with a LTNS (long time no see) friend, it was probably better to learn to appreciate my freedom. Funny, this post wasn't supposed to move in this direction, but it helped me shore-up some thoughts in my head.